Your body type is: Oval
How to Dress an Oval Body Shape
The key to dressing an Oval body type is to de-emphasize your midsection and create a more defined waist. This is achieved by choosing clothing that add curves and fullness to your lower body and tops that taper to a waist. You have amazing legs so feel free to play with skirt lengths, but don’t go too short otherwise you will further a top-heavy look. Please click on the thumbnails below to learn more about how to dress an Oval body type.
Look for tops that will will taper your upper body while creating a more defined waist:
- Tops with nipped or belted waists.
- Square, wide V or U necks.
- Wrap style tops and jackets.
- Tops with vertical details.
- Tops that flare at the hip.
- Square or scoop neck button downs that are nipped-in at the waist and flare at the bottom will help create a more defined waist.
- Look for belted tops that flare at the hip.
- Choose tailored tunic style tops that nip-in at the waist. Tunics with wide or plunging necks and details around the neck are most flattering.
- Wear wrap tops with wide, deep V-necks and simple sleeves. Tops should wrap at your natural waistline and flare at the hip.
- Belted safari-type jackets with prominent hip pockets and a wide, deep neckline add curves to your hips and minimize your tummy.
- Tailored jackets with wide-stance collars, a nipped-in waist and flared bottom. The first button should be below your bust.
Look for bottoms that will minimize your lower half:
- Go for details such as whiskering, embellished pockets & flap pockets.
- Cargo or safari pants with pronounced hip and rear pockets.
- Pants with full or wide legs.
- Full, tiered, flared or bubble skirts.
- Mid-rise waists with wide waistbands.
- Wide-leg jeans or cargo pants with prominent front and back pockets help to balance your tummy and add curves to your lower half.
- Wide-leg, flowing pants are very flattering on your body type. Wide-leg dress pants with prominent back and/or side pockets will add curves to your hips.
- Fuller flowing skirts that gently skim away from your body will help fill out your hips.
- Straight skirts with a flirty flared bottom look good on your figure when paired with a top or jacket that accentuate your hips.
Look for suits that will define your waist and add curves to your figure. Look for:
- Tankinis and one piece suits with hourglass prints.
- Skirted suits with light colored busts.
- Straps that sits mid shoulder.
- Suits with wrap or crisscross details.
- Bottoms with hip details such as ties.
- Look for tankinis with straps that sit mid-shoulder. Tops with an hourglass print are particularly flattering. Never wear dark bottoms with a light/printed top.
- Skirted suits with a light colored bust and bottom that flares at the hip are flattering and help create an hourglass effect.
- One piece swimsuit with an hourglass print are an ideal choice for your figure. Choose suits with dark colored sides and a light, bright or printed middle.
- swimsuits with wrap-style details will help to define your waist.